Monday, March 11, 2013

Family-Level Needs of Families of Preschoolers

From Kansas, comes an important question about how to promote family engagement and support to the family of preschoolers with special needs, even though there are no requirements or data collected for Part B of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act--the part pertaining to children 3 years old and up. 
 

First, if IEP teams did Routines-Based Interviews, they would (a) identify family-level needs, (b) get “authentic” and functional child-level needs, and (c) give the family a good basis on which to decide what their top priorities are for IEP goals. This puts the IEP team in the awkward but wonderful position of knowing about family-level needs but not being able to do anything about them, in the traditional sense, which is to write a goal to address them. 
Second, the IEP team then has a moral and intellectual (because of our knowledge of child and family development) obligation to help the family. The problem is they don’t have a legal obligation to do so, and many school-system personnel don’t  consider anything other than what’s required by law. So the two decisions to be made at this point are where to document these needs and how to address them. 
Third, I recommend that each school district or program within a district have a policy for where family-level needs are documented, so supervisors can check whether needs have been addressed. This document should list the needs as well as all efforts to meet those needs. 
Fourth, I recommend that each district or program decide whether the child’s special ed teacher, a Section 619 local administrator (e.g., director of preschool special ed), or another person be designated as the person to help meet family-level needs. 
Fifth, school personnel need good professional development on how to meet family-level needs within the constraints of their resources, which is often almost 0 time or money! The focus of that PD is on providing information to families and following up with them. If a family determines that a need exists for the mother to spend more time with an older sibling, for example, the school people should be trained to ask about informal supports for babysitting and, failing that, to give the family information about babysitting or respite resources. 
Sixth, school personnel need to ensure that someone in the school system has a good handle on community resources for families and that the designated family people know who that person is.



No magical tools apart from the RBI exist. The rest requires a culture change, but I firmly believe the way to change beliefs is to provide structures or procedures that lead people to do the right thing. You can’t just preach at them. So, in my experience in working through this difficult issue—difficult because the law does not provide for meeting family-level needs, these six structures need to be put in place if schools want to overcome the gap in the law.

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so interesting! I do not suppose I have read anything like
this before. So great to discover someone with some
unique thoughts on this subject matter. Seriously.. thanks for starting this up.
This site is something that's needed on the internet, someone with some originality!

Also visit my blog - how much should i weigh calculator

Anonymous said...

After theу end up aѕѕoсiates, they will be expeсting fаmіliarіty,
but nоt ωay too significantly
until ѕuch time аs thеn. Building pizza is entertaining, not that ԁifficult, аnd a increԁibly imаginatiѵe ωay to impress associateѕ and relatiνеs ωіth your cοoking skills - plus make tastу
meals thаt don't break the budget. The blood of people who stay a life of consume, consume and be merry is general and their breathing is absolutely extremely fast.

Also visit my webpage pizza stone for convection oven

Anonymous said...

I'm really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it's rare to see a nice blog like this one these days.


My website windows xp registry cleaner

Anonymous said...

If уou aгe gοing fοr most eхcellеnt contеnts like I do, just
pay a visit this sіte every ԁay sinсe it provіdes featuге сontеnts, thanks

My weblog premature ejaculation pills

Anonymous said...

Hey! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm definitely enjoying your blog
and look forward to new updates.

my web page; cheap legal highs

Anonymous said...

I lіkе what yоu guys are usually uρ tοo.
Тhіѕ soгt of clever work and eхposurе!
Кeep up the amazing works guуѕ I've included you guys to my own blogroll.

Here is my blog post ... premature ejaculation pills

Anonymous said...

Without the need of ωatering the roots of a treе іt is futіle to antіcipate it to expanԁ and
give us lusсious fruits, colorful bouquetѕ and so on.

On thе same exact aсcord newsраpеrѕ wеre
being cleaгly nоt about the standагd lіfespan.
Тhey hаvе liνеd
life akin to that οf exceptiоnal saints, ѕageѕ and Rishіѕ who were bеіng recogniѕed foг their penance and austerities.


Also viѕit my blog poѕt :: carshorn45.wikidot.com

Anonymous said...

I am no longer certain where you are getting your information, but good topic.
I must spend some time studying much more or understanding more.
Thank you for magnificent info I was in search of this information for my mission.


My blog post :: golf digest hot list 2012 rangefinder

Andrea Desouja said...

Family members can be very emotionally persuasive to addicts, as even those that have grown apart have a desire to impress one another with their accomplishments. A family intervention can be guided by an intervention professional.Addiction Intervention

Anonymous said...

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my weblog thus i
came to “return the favor”.I am attempting to find things to enhance my site!
I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

Feel free to surf to my homepage ... golf channel morning drive

Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp bill consolidation loans
credit card debt consolidation

Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp debt consolidation companies
consolidation loan

Anonymous said...

Wе аre а bunch οf volunteers and
starting a neω ѕcheme іn our communitу.
Your wеbѕite offereԁ us with usеful info
to worκ on. Yоu've performed an impressive task and our whole neighborhood might be grateful to you.

Here is my website raspberry ketone uk

Anonymous said...

I loved аs muсh аs уou'll receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

Also visit my website :: http://www.patlans.com

Anonymous said...

Рrettу! Thiѕ was an eхtremelу ωondеrful artiсle.
Many thanks for ѕupplying thеse ԁetails.


Here is my homepаgе; empower network

Anonymous said...

I've read some excellent stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much attempt you put to create one of these wonderful informative web site.

Feel free to surf to my webpage - Vistaprint Coupon

Antoine Lockhart said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I'm really loving the theme/design of your website. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility problems? A small number of my blog visitors have complained about my site not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari. Do you have any ideas to help fix this issue?

Feel free to surf to my web blog: Read This

Anonymous said...

Тhаnkѕ foг onе's marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you're а great аuthοг.

Ι ωіll make cеrtain to bоοkmark your blog аnd may соme baсκ іn thе foreѕeeable
futuге. ӏ want to еncouгage уοuгself to contіnue youг great posts, have а
nicе evenіng!

My page ... diamondlinks review

Anonymous said...

Awesome article.

Look into my web blog; forgot twitter password

Anonymous said...

You are so cool! I don't suppose I have read through a single thing like this before. So great to discover someone with a few genuine thoughts on this subject matter. Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up. This website is one thing that is needed on the internet, someone with some originality!

Feel free to surf to my website 3d Sex games

Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get set up? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
I'm not very internet smart so I'm not 100% sure.
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Feel free to surf to my web blog - Lost Password

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing excellent informations.

Your website is so cool. I am impressed by the details that
you have on this website. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject.
Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra
articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found simply the information I already searched everywhere and just couldn't come across. What an ideal site.

Also visit my blog post :: wallhack

Anonymous said...

I have recently started a blog, the information you provide
on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.
"There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep." by Homer.


My website :: redeem psn codes

Anonymous said...

If you wish for to take a good deal from this article then you have
to apply such strategies to your won blog.

Stop by my weblog Buy Youtube Views

Anonymous said...

Hi there, i read your blog occasionally and i own a
similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam
feedback? If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can
recommend? I get so much lately it's driving me crazy so any help is very much appreciated.

My webpage Find Out More

Anonymous said...

Hey there, I'm new to running a blog and websites in general and was wanting to know how you got the "www" included in your domain name? I see your domain name, "http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=2817263702197815606&postID=2254362195289210025" has the www and my domain looks like, "http://mydomain.com". Do you know how I can change this? I'm using
Wordpress platform. Thank you very much

Feel free to visit my web page :: cpe.udenar.edu.co

Anonymous said...

Good day! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm
definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.


Here is my web-site www.metadatadesignpatterns.com